The increasing importance of understanding email marketing is core to digital marketing efforts. We have analyzed some statistics on email open and click-through rates that businesses can find helpful and compiled a list of some of the best practices for email marketing.
Consumers are overwhelmed by the sheer number of emails received from businesses and thus overlook emails that are particularly long, scream spam, lack subject appeal or simply due to poor first impressions. To combat this selective nature, marketers have tweaked the way they deliver information.
Metrics & Statistics
Measuring the performance of your emails is crucial to understanding the effectiveness of your email marketing campaign. We have gathered and sorted a brief list of current, and helpful, statistics for any business interested in email marketing campaigns:
- About 53% of emails are opened on mobile devices. – Campaign Monitor
- [The 2016] mean [industry email open rate ] Consumer Services is 21.6% – Martech & smartinsight
- Personalized email messages improve click-through rates by an average of 14% and conversions by 10%. – Aberdeen
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened. – Campaign Monitor
- [Including] a call to action button instead of a text link can increase conversion rates by as much as 28%. – Campaign Monitor
- For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI. – Campaign Monitor
Inbound Marketing has a vital role in digital marketing strategies. However, it can be under-utilized and incorrectly delivered. Emails that are not eye-catching are ignored and buried under other emails, or worse, the email goes directly to the customer’s spam box.
The Big Five
To improve the effectiveness of emails, we researched some of the best practices in increasing open and click through rates.
We have compiled our top 5 tips to improve emails and generate quality leads:
- Write Catchy Subject Lines and Useful Pretext Copy
This is essential to emails and can define whether emails are opened or completely ignored. Eye catching subject lines grab the reader’s attention, and transparent pretext copy is key to delivering the email’s idea without the reader struggling to understand the message. Pretext should be 50 characters or less and be a clear and concise preview of the full message. Remember, you are competing with many other emails in their inbox.
- Send Short, Sweet, and to-the-Point Emails
The short and witty copy goes a long way, it keeps attention on the subject and delivers information faster. Break up any large paragraphs, and add subheadings, numbers or bullet points, to facilitate scanning for the main ideas and the core message.
- Present a Clear Call-to-Action
Guide readers to action. At the end of the email ask to subscribe, book a service, or take any other particular action. Readers that skim emails will want an easy way to take action with a well-designed, button or link.
- Prioritize Currently Subscribed Customers
Permission based email marketing leads to higher ROI than unsolicited [email], direct [snail] mail, or traditional [media] advertising – Campaigner. Contact frequent and loyal customers to maximize benefits and increase engagement.
- Preview and Test Emails
Double check emails for errors and misspellings, browser and device compatibility, broken links, or layout issues.
A lot of time and effort goes into the creation of emails. Therefore, SBOs need to be able to have some measurable benchmark against which to compare. Constant improvements and adjustments are key to ever more successful ROIs.